Chronicling and reviewing show's I've attended, taped, traded, or discussing projects remastering audio and video of said shows. I trade live recordings of hard rock and metal, and focus mostly on the bands Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle, Deftones, Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. This is just a blog, so no downloads are hosted here. Contact me if you can't find something through the appropriate channels. NOTHING DISCUSSED ON THIS BLOG IS COPYRIGHTED in any shape or form. It is all fan generated content for the use of other fans. Finally, please support the artists by buying their official records and attending their shows... And most importantly, share FREELY!

http://db.etree.org/the_negative_1

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tool - 2001-09-08 - Indianapolis - Matrix, Remaster

So while I was home sick a few days last week, I took to task my first attempt at matrixing a show from two seperate sources. I think this turned out really well, so I thought I would share. Enjoy!



Tool
2001-09-08
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Noblesville, IN
Fall-Winter 2001 North American Tour with Meshuggah

Sources:

version 1:
media type: FLAC
source: Core Sound Low Cost Stealth Cardioids > Sony TCD-D8 > 1st gen CDR > FLAC
taper: unknown
disc 1 - 9 tracks - 66:06
disc 2 - 7 tracks - 67:17

version 3:
media type: FLAC
source: Core Sound Binaurals > Sony PCM-M1/48 > 1st Gen DAT > 2nd Gen CDR > EAC > FLAC
taper: unknown
disc 1 - 8 tracks - 54:14
disc 2 - 9 tracks - 66:40

Transfer: Flac > WAV > Audacity (sync, minor EQ, new levels: Ver1 -2 dB, Ver3 -2.5 dB) > Remastered WAV @ 44.1 KHz > CD Wav (tracks) > Flac level 8

Setlist:
Tuva (cut)
01. The Grudge
02. Stinkfist
03. Forty Six & 2
04. Maynard Speaks
05. Prison Sex
06. Schism
07. Pushit
<small cut in both sources>
08. Disposition
09. Reflection
10. Intermission
11. Parabol / Parabola
12. Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient
13. Ænema
14. Maynard Speaks
15. Lateralus

Notes: Due to the length of the set and the difficulty syncing the entire show, I removed most of the Tuvan intro. And really, only one of the sources had it in full anyway.

This was another project I undertook on a whim. I was not at this show sadly (I wasn't even a fan of Tool yet at the time) but my best friend was there and wanted to see what I missed out on.

In the end these sources mixed together alright, so I thought I would share. Neither source on it's own is all that bad, but Version 1 was mostly top end and a bit distant, and Version 3 (which sounded like it was taped from a lot closer) was much more bass heavy. Both sources have some issues with crowd noise. However, that said, they complimented each other nicely once mixed. The music is pushed up and the crowd noise gets pushed down a bit, and you get a nice response across the full frequency spectrum.

Big thanks to Geordy for linking me to the Tool drive, which was where I was able to get both of these sources. 


Find the show here:
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/tool-live-in-noblesville-usa-2001-a-213564.html


Support the band!
https://www.toolband.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ToolMusic
https://twitter.com/tool


No comments:

Post a Comment